Program Status: CLOSED
- Ukraine is a NOT a Hague Program -
Ukrainian children are mostly Caucasian and are available to adopt from 5 years of age. Younger children may be available if a child over 5 has younger siblings or if they have special needs. This is decided on a case by case basis.
- Ukraine is rigid about their requirements.
- Parents should be no more than 45 years older than the child they wish to adopt (this is based on the youngest adoptive parent). Please contact us for more information about this.
- Ukraine currently accepts married couples, however, they will not work with single men or women at this time.
- Ukraine has allowed those with medical conditions to adopt in the past and we are happy to check with our coordinator if you think you have a medical condition that could affect your adoption.
The process and procedures for adopting from Ukraine usually occurs as follows:
- After KTA receives a completed dossier from parents, we proof the dossier to the best of our abilities and send it to our coordinators.
- Our coordinators proof and translate the dossier.
- Your dossier is submitted to the Central Authority, SDA, which starts the registration process. This may take up to 30 working days.
- Within 30 working days, the SDA either rejects or approves the dossier. During this time the SDA runs an Interpol background check on the adoptive parents.
- If accepted, the SDA gives parents an appointment date, usually 2-6 months from approval. This process is faster for children 8 or older or those who have special needs.
- Parents travel usually for 1 long trip of about 4 to 6 weeks (which can be divided into two trips). First, they arrive for their SDA appointment to view referral files and be referred a child.
- Parents travel to the child’s region and visit with the child while completing paperwork.
- Parents go to court and then must wait the 10 day waiting period before finalization.
- Parents complete any other necessary requirements to bring their child home.
- Parents return home with child and register them at the Ukraine Embassy.
- Parents submit Post Adoption reports, as required by Ukrainian law at the time of the adoption.
- Ukraine is very picky about adoption and continuously changing requirements and issuing expiration dates for parents paperwork. These changes and rules are in no way controlled by KTA.
- The estimated time it takes to complete a Ukrainian adoption is 6 to 12 months, depending on a variety of factors.